Art Project Grant
Note: This funding opportunity is no longer currently accepting applications. See below for resources to manage your grant award.
These program guidelines are subject to change after the publication date. Changes will be clearly noted on this page.
See the FY 2024 Grant Recipients
Apply for funding to support projects that positively impact the vitality of the arts in the state and demonstrate public value. Eligible art projects must include exceptional arts activities, involve collaboration and provide access to Iowans.
Funding for the program is provided by the Iowa Legislature and by the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Who: Iowa Artists, Nonprofits, Schools, Local Governments
- Individual Artists: $1,000 - $10,000 with 50% cash match requirement
- Organizations: $2,500 - $10,000 with 50% cash match requirement
- When: May 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM for the funding period of July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024.
Changes for FY2024 - Individual Artists Only
For the current grant cycle, the Iowa Arts Council has combined the Art Project Grant for individual artists and Iowa Artist Fellowship applications into one application.
- Art Project Grants for individual artists range from $1,000 to $10,000 with 50% cash match requirement and support the creation or presentation of an original work of art, arts experience or arts learning opportunity that will increase the vitality of the arts in Iowa.
- The Iowa Artist Fellowship is a one-time, $10,000 award, paired with robust professional development, peer mentorship and coaching opportunities, that supports Iowa artists who are committed to advancing their artistic practice and are at a pivotal stage in their career.
Within the application, applicants may select which program(s) they would like to be considered for funding. This new process eliminates the round one and round two Fellowship applications, reduces the burden on applicants, and allows applicants to be considered for an Art Project Grant if not selected for an Artist Fellowship.
Applicants may only receive one award. Funding for these artist support programs is provided by the Iowa Legislature and by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM for the funding period of July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024. This deadline is for the Art Project Grant for Artists and Iowa Artist Fellowship combined application.
How to Apply
For all potential applicants, both individual artists and organizations.
- Read the appropriate guidelines:
- Watch recorded informational webinars for an overview of program requirements, tips and advice on how to complete the application, and more. Search for the “Fiscal Year 2024 Grant Webinars” playlist on the @IowaCulture YouTube channel for all relevant webinars. (Webinars will be available in early February.)
- Submit the application.
Grant Writing Resources
Question & Answer Session
Potential applicants are welcome to join Iowa Arts Council staff for a virtual public question and answer session via Zoom to ask questions about applying to the program. Potential applicants are encouraged to review all written guidelines and informational webinars prior to attending this session.
When and How to Join
4:00 p.m., February 21, 2023 - Combined Question & Answer Session for both the Art Project Grant for Artists and Iowa Artist Fellowship
12:00 p.m., February 23, 2023 - Art Project Grant for Organizations
Question & Answer Session Zoom Link
Q&A Call-In: 312-626-6799
Meeting ID: 626 286 2564
Schedule a Meeting
Potential applicants are welcome to schedule a brief meeting with the program manager in advance of the application deadline if the applicant has additional questions. Potential applicants are encouraged to review all written guidelines and informational webinars prior to scheduling a meeting with a program manager. Meetings can be scheduled directly with the program manager using the following scheduling page via Calendly:
Take a look at examples of previously submitted applications. Example applications are for reference only. Programs change from year to year so applicants should ensure they are responding to current application requirements.
Grant Terms and Definitions
Check out the glossary for definitions of grant terms used in the guidelines.
Manage Your Grant
Reference your Award Notification e-mail and Grant Contract for information about managing your grant award. The e-mail and contract include information about contract compliance, acknowledging support, final reports, and other important details.
Fiscal Year 2023 Guidelines
Fiscal Year 2023 Grantees may use the Fiscal Year 2023 Arts Project Grant Program Guidelines for reference throughout the funding period of July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023.
As a grant recipient, you must complete the final report form at the end of the process and share the impact of the project on arts and culture in Iowa.